Monday, December 16, 2013

Awesome Week! - Sister Gillett

December 9, 2013
 
Hey everyone!!
Sounds like it has been a cold week in Utah for you! Maybe you got the storm we got here in Cali this week. It has been so cold! haha like 48 degrees. I guess that probably sounds really warm to you guys right now, but it has been really cold for us. I actually had to put on my rain coat this week and turn on the heat in the car. haha rough life!!
This week has been pretty awesome! Sorry I didnt write you much last week. We were running behind schedule and I honestly didnt have much to tell you because it was a really slow week because everyone was busy with Thanksgiving. Yesterday we got to teach primary. We taught the same age group that Carol and I taught this summer. It was so much fun! We had a blast!!! We got to teach them about how the pioneers showed their faith in Jesus Christ and we played games with them and of course singing time was still my favorite part. I just love primary songs!! They were working on singing the 12th and 13th article of faith. If you pass it off you get some juice so Sister J and I passed off the 12th article of faith just for fun! Primary is so much fun!!
Wasn't the Christmas Devotional last night awesome!! Definitely different than it was before. Doesn't the First Presidentcy normally speak? It was great to hear all of the speakers and I thought it was really cool to see their focus on giving service for Christmas. I think that is awesome that you guys are giving so much service pushing snow for everyone. Way to go!! Keep up the good work! After the devotional Sister J and I drove around and looked at as many Christmas lights as we could on our way to our next appointment. Did you guys go look at Christmas lights too? Sister J also has a really awesome Josh Groban Christmas CD so we listened to that as we drove around. It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas!! Here in California people actually decorate the trees in their yard with lights and ornaments. That would not last for one second in Utah with all the snow and wind you guys get! haha
Every 3 months in our mission all of the Sister Missionaries get together and have lunch and then President and Sister Bowen do a little devotional for us. It was really fun to be able to meet a lot of new Sisters and hear about how missionary work is going in their areas. So that was a lot of fun for us.
Here is a cool tender mercy... There is a senior missionary couple who lives in our apartment complex and they know that I have diabetes because he does too. While we were at sister's lunch he came up to me and asked if we payed for my insulin or if our insurance paid for it. I told him, and he said Well I have some insulin for you! I guess he has met a lady who is very well off because she use to work in Hollywood and she gives him the insulin that he needs. He had a bunch of extra insulin so he gave me a 3 month supply...WOW!!! What a tender mercy!
This week we did splits with the Samoan Sisters again. We all picked out a street to tract and then we both took opposite sides and knocked our little hearts out. No one was answering/ no one was interested in talking to us. We only had a few minutes left until we needed to meet back up at our car so we decided to knock on one more door. A sweet lady answered the door and after a second she said "oh, sisters you scared me...Come in." Sister N and I have never met or seen this lady before but she was so kind and welcomed us in. She lives in her friends back yard in a little storage shed that has been remodeled to look more like a home. She was so sweet and we shared a quick message with her. Afterwards she started to cry and she said "I dont know how you found me or who sent you here , but tell them thank you, I really needed that message today." We told her that we had no idea that she lived there and the only person that sent us to her was her loving Heavenly Father. I know that the Lord guides our path everyday and it was so awesome to witness that again. Her strength and humility really strengthened my testimony. She is a very dedicated member of the church. She loves the book of mormon and when we walked in she picked up a pillow off of the floor because she had left it there from her morning prayers. You could tell she prays a lot to her Heavenly Father and that through her prayers she knows the church is true and she knows that she is a daughter of God. It was so neat to have that experience!
This week I got to try Vietnamese food. It was called Pho. It was rice noodles with brothe and veggies and sweet and sour sauce. It was really interesting. Pretty good, but defintely not my favorite!
On pdays we do our studies and then we wash our car, do our grocery shopping, eat lunch, email, and then go to zone activity. Before we know it, it is over!! Pdays go so fast!!
Have a great week! Love you lots!! Stay warm!!
Love, Sister Gillett

No comments:

Post a Comment